Monday 5 September 2022

Sharing Our Stories

     

It is "Back to School" Eve. After over 30 years in education, the feelings of excitement and apprehension are pretty familiar. It's an incredible responsibility to help support a student's journey to success. And an amazing privilege. So it is no wonder that so many of us experience this mix of emotions in the days that lead up to the start of a school year.

But this year is also a bit different for me. For the first time, I am embarking on this journey in the role of Principal. So perhaps a wee bit heavier on the apprehensive side than most years...

Although I am in a different role, my core beliefs remain the same. Relationships are foundational. Trust and transparency through the sharing of our stories is essential. 

The quote by Richard Wagamese has guided my own personal journey. It is a reminder to me to take the time to learn the stories of others. If we can ensure that our students, families and staff feel connected, feel like they belong, then learning and growth will happen. 

Connections before content. 

I know there is an almost overwhelming sense of urgency as we start the school year. So much to accomplish. So many "to do" lists. I am feeling this even more now than in previous years. But  I am reminding myself to slow down, to take the time to listen. 

And I have no doubt that together, "we will change the world, one story at a time."







No comments:

Post a Comment

Sharing Our Stories

       It is "Back to School" Eve. After over 30 years in education, the feelings of excitement and apprehension are pretty famili...