Tuesday 11 February 2020

Relationships Not Rules

You might not expect to hear this from a school administrator, but I don't believe in rules.

That's not to say that I don't have high expectations for students. But I don't believe that a long list of "Do's" and "Don'ts" is in the best interest of any student or school community. Students are complex. They are unique. And so when I speak with a student who is struggling, it is the relationship that I have worked to establish with that individual that guides my response, not a list of rules.

Ultimately, successful school communities are built on relationships, not rules.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sharing Our Stories

       It is "Back to School" Eve. After over 30 years in education, the feelings of excitement and apprehension are pretty famili...